ROBERT G. O’KEEFE, DPM, FACFAS
Meet The Doctors of Weil Foot & Ankle Institute
Robert G. O’Keefe, DPM, FACFAS
Author, Surgeon, and Expert Podiatrist
Dr. O’Keefe had undergone his undergraduate studies at Loyola University of Chicago. He was a teaching assistant for the Department of biology in microbiology, entomology, and ecology.
His interest in the field of podiatry was stimulated by Dr. Charles Witt clinical professor in the department of medicine at the Illinois College of podiatric medicine. Dr. Witt was a family friend. His enthusiasm was infectious and I elected to attend his alma mater, a decision he never regretted.
Dr. O’Keefe attended Illinois College of podiatric medicine, which is now the Roslyn Franklin College. In addition to his studies he served as a clinical microbiologist. He also served as a teaching assistant in general and lower extremity anatomy.
His surgical residency was at the distinguished Northlake community Hospital under Lowell Scott Weil Sr. Dr. Weil served as the residency director at the time. While at Northlake Hospital Dr. O’Keefe continued clinical research on implants in foot surgery, a subject stimulated by Dr. Weil. This endeavor developed into several scientific papers and chapters in surgical textbooks.
Dr. O’Keefe also served as a senior teaching faculty member at Columbus Hospital and Lutheran General
Hospital.Dr. O’Keefe enthusiastically created clinical rotations that included residents in podiatry, family practice, and internal medicine.
He continues his endeavors at the Weil Foot & Ankle Institute. He maintains an active clinical andsurgical practice at the Institute.
He has received many national awards including those in clinical research. Although his interests have varied he has distinguished himself in the field of small bone implant arthroplasty and foot surgery.
He and his wife Ann have three children: Katie,Molly, and Dan .Katie has recently given birth to Claire Elizabeth, their first grandchild.
Dr. O’Keefe now continues treatment with his extended family at the Weil Foot & Ankle Institute.
LEARN MORE ABOUT ROBERT G. O’KEEFE, DPM, FACFAS
- Lutheran General Hospital
- Attending Medical Staff, Department of Surgery, Lutheran General Hospital, Park Ridge, IL
- Foot and Ankle Surgical Center, Des Plaines, IL
- Committee of Biomaterials, American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons
- Attending Medical Staff, St. Joseph Hospital
- Advisory Board, Foot Implants, Dow-Corning Corp.
- Committee on Standards of Care, American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons (Preferred Provider Committee)
- Instructor, Department of Anatomical Sciences, William M. Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine, 1978-1980
- Instructor, Surgical Dissection Lab, William M. Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine, 1980-1986
- Assistant Professor, Department of Orthopedics, William M. Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine, 1980-1982
- Associate Professor, Department of Surgery, William M. Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine, 1982-1984
- Scientific Chairman, I.P.S. Seminar Series, 1983
- Clinical Associate Professor, Department of Surgery, William M. Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine, 1984-1986
- Visiting Lector, Department of Surgery, William M. Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine, 1987
- Examiner, American Board of Foot and Ankle Surgery Certification Examinations Committee, 1984-1994
- Teaching Staff, Podiatry Residency Program, Columbus Hospital, Chicago IL, 1988-1999
- Advisory Committee on Podiatric Research, American Podiatric Medical Association, 1998
- Teaching Staff, Podiatry Residency Program, St. Joseph Hospital, Chicago IL, 2000-20005
AWARDS – DISTINCTIONS – CREDENTIALS
- Board Certified, American Board of Foot and Ankle Surgery, 1983
- Member, Illinois Podiatric Medical Society
- Member, American Podiatric Medical Association
- Member, American Public Health Association
- Member, Amercian Society of Microbiology
- Lecture: Faculty, Italian Society of Medicine and Surgery of the Foot, International College of Podology, Covegno: La Chirurgia Protesica Dell’Avampiede, Institute Ortopedico Galeazzi, Milano, Italy, 1989
- Instructor and teaching assistant for the Department of Biology Beta Beta Beta Biological Honor Society and Lower Extremity Anatomy Clinical Bacteriologist
- Illinois College of Podiatric Medicine Service Award
- Physician of the Year Award, Podiatric Surgery, St. Joseph Hospital, Chicago, IL, 2004-2005
- Teaching Attending of the Year Award: Catholic Health Partners, Affiliated with Northwestern School of Medicine, 1998-1999, 1999-2000, 2000-2001
- Teaching Attending of the Year Award: Department of Surgery, Columbus Hospital, 1997-1998
- A.P.M.A. Hall of Science Award, Exhibit: Decompression Osteotomy in the Treatment of Early Stage Hallux Rigidus, Boston, MA, 1989
- Hershey Surgical Seminar Faculty Award, Hershey, PA, 1988
- A.P.M.A. Hall of Science Award, Exhibit: The Management of Postoperative Infection, San Antonio, TX, 1986
- A.P.M.A. Hall of Science Award, Exhibit: Neuroarthropathy of the Foot and Ankle, Salt Lake City, UT, 1985
- A.P.M.A. Hall of Science Award, Exhibit: The Rheumatoid Foot, Nashville, TN, 1984
- Wm. J. Stickel Award, A.P.M.A. Gold Medal for Research, Implant Arthroplasty: Complications and Their Classification, Boston, MA, 1983
- A.P.M.A. Hall of Science Award, Exhibit, Fixation Methods in Foot Surgery, Boston, MA, 1983
- Astra Award for Clinical Papers, Implantation, Hershey Surgical Seminar, Hershey, PA, 1982
- A.P.M.A. Hall of Science Award, Exhibit, Implantation in Foot Surgery, Chicago, IL, 1982
EDUCATION & TRAINING
Loyola University of Chicago – BS – Biology
Illinois College of Podiatric Medicine – DPM
Reconstructive Surgery of the Foot and Ankle, Northlake Community Hospital
American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons