Dr. Weil Jr.
Dr. Weil Jr. practices at the following locations:
- Des Plaines, IL:
– Monday & Tuesday
- Lake Forest, IL:
- Libertyville, IL:
– Tuesday, Wednesday & Friday
View Podiatric Research
Lowell Weil, Jr., DPM, MBA, FACFAS
I have three children. I enjoy golf, platform tennis, coaching baseball and cooking. My wife, Wendy, who is also a physician in our practice, and I attend cooking schools together and enjoy cooking for family and friends.
— Dr. Lowell Weil, Jr.
Dr. Weil Jr. is the President of Weil Foot & Ankle Institute and serves as the Fellowship Director. He is the Co-Editor of Foot and Ankle Specialist, the only combined orthopedic/podiatric peer reviewed Journal in the World. He has authored over 30 scientific papers and chapters in books as well as recently authored a Chapter in “Foot and Ankle Clinics,” the first ever by a Podiatrist. He has published his own book on Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy. He is published in three languages. He has lectured nationally and internationally on reconstructive foot surgery, tendon and ligament reconstruction, sports medicine and Extracorporeal Shock Wave Treatment for painful heel syndrome, achilles tendonitis and Morton’s neuroma and has co-developed implants used in foot surgery worldwide. He is responsible for recent advances in the surgical management of plantar plate repair and has developed new techniques and instrumentation to create ease and reproducibility of the surgical procedure to address this common foot problem.
Dr. Weil Jr. has been on the staff of Weil Foot & Ankle Institute since 1996. His special areas of interest are Reconstructive Foot and Ankle Surgery (particularly Bunion Reconstruction and Deformed Toes), Tendon and Ligament Reconstruction (Flatfoot and Ankle Instability), Chronic Heel Pain, Radiofrequency Techniques, Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy, Sports Medicine and the use of PRP and Autologous Stem Cell Therapy. He is particularly interested in Plantar Plate Problems and has been instrumental in the diagnosis and innovative surgical management of this entity.
Dr. Weil, Jr. is a key opinion leader in his specialty and is frequently invited to deliver lectures, conduct workshops, and provide product development expertise for the medical device industry. He is compensated for his time spent as a consultant, and also receives royalties for products he has invented or helped develop. He does not receive any direct compensation for devices used for his patients. Dr. Weil, Jr. also is a shareholder in the Foot & Ankle Surgery Center.
- Elected President of the International Society for Medical Shockwave Treatment (ISMST)
- Team Podiatrists for the Chicago White Sox Baseball Club, along with Dr. Weil, Sr.
- Named Top 100 Most Influential Podiatrists in the Country by Podiatry Management Magazine, along with Dr. Weil, Sr. and Dr. Amarantos
- Won 1st place award for their presentation of research on the Calcaneal Scarf Osteotomy at the Annual American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons (ACFAS) Meeting in 2008, along with Dr. Jason Glover
- Part of Editorial Board for Foot and Ankle Specialist peer reviewed publication
- Part of Editorial Board for Foot and Ankle Online Journal an Internet Based Open Access Online Journal
- Presented four papers at the Annual European Federation of National Associations of Orthopaedics and Traumatology (EFORT) Meeting in Nice France in 2008. EFORT is the largest Orthopedic Organization in Europe.
- Published a book on Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy
- North Shore University Health System
- Northwest Community Hospital
- Lake Forest Hospital
- Holy Family Medical Center
- Editor, Foot and Ankle Specialist
- Team Podiatrist, Chicago White Sox
- Consultant, Chicago Bulls
- YPO, Chicago
- Managerial Board, International Society for Medical Shockwave Treatment
- Editorial Board, Podiatry Today
- Board Certified, American Board of Foot and Ankle Surgery
- Board Certified, Foot Surgery / Reconstructive Rearfoot and Ankle Surgery, American Board of Foot and Ankle Surgery
- Fellow, American College of Foot & Ankle Surgeons
- Podiatry Management Magazine “Top 100 Most Influential Podiatrists”, 2012
- 1st Place, AOFAS Poster Competition at Annual Summer Meeting, 2011 “MRI Correlation with Intra-operative plantar plate pathology”
- American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons Clinical and Scientific Research Grant, 2010
- 1st Place, ACFAS Poster Competition at Annual Summer Meeting, 2007 "Calcaneal Scarf Osteotomy for Posterior Tendon Dysfunction; Long-Term Results"
Education & Training
- Undergraduate: Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN – BA
- Medical School: Dr. William M. Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine – DPM
- Residency: The Graduate Hospital, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
- Fellowship: Reconstructive Foot and Ankle Surgery, Europe
- Graduate School: Lake Forest Graduate School of Management – MBA