Dr. Weil Jr.
Dr. Weil Jr. practices at the following locations:
View Podiatric Research
Lowell Weil, Jr., DPM, MBA, FACFAS
President of the Weil Foot & Ankle Institute
Managing Partner of Foot & Ankle Business Innovations
“I have three children. I enjoy golf, platform tennis, coaching baseball and cooking. My wife, Wendy, who is also a physician in our practice, and I attend cooking schools together and enjoy cooking for family and friends.” — Dr. Lowell Weil, Jr.
Dr. Weil, Jr. is the President of Weil Foot & Ankle Institute and serves as the Fellowship Director. He is the Co-Editor of Foot and Ankle Specialist, the only combined orthopedic/podiatric peer-reviewed journal in the world.
He has authored over 50 scientific papers and chapters in books and recently authored a chapter in “Foot and Ankle Clinics,” the first ever authored by a podiatrist. He has published his own book on Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy and is published in three languages.
He has lectured nationally and internationally on reconstructive foot surgery, tendon and ligament reconstruction, sports medicine and Extracorporeal Shock Wave Treatment for painful heel syndrome, achilles tendonitis and Morton’s neuroma and has co-developed implants used in foot surgery worldwide. He is responsible for recent advances in the surgical management of plantar plate repair and has developed new techniques and instrumentation to create ease and reproducibility of the surgical procedure to address this common foot problem.
Dr. Weil Jr. has been on the staff of Weil Foot & Ankle Institute since 1996. His special areas of interest are reconstructive foot and ankle surgery (particularly bunion reconstruction and deformed toes), tendon and ligament reconstruction (flatfoot and ankle instability), chronic heel pain, radiofrequency techniques, Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy, sports medicine and the use of PRP and Autologous Stem Cell Therapy.
He is particularly interested in Plantar Plate Problems and has been instrumental in the diagnosis and innovative surgical management of this entity.
Dr. Weil, Jr. is a key opinion leader in his specialty and is frequently invited to deliver lectures, conduct workshops, and provide product development expertise for the medical device industry.
Dr. Weil, Jr. also maintains a blog on the Podiatry Today website. The blog contains his personal insights on patient care and the business of medicine.
- North Shore University Health System
- Northwest Community Hospital
- Northwestern-Lake Forest Hospital
- Holy Family Medical Center
- Editor, Foot and Ankle Specialist
- Team Podiatrist, Chicago White Sox
- Consultant, Chicago Bulls
- YPO, Chicago
- Managerial Board, International Society for Medical Shockwave Treatment
- Editorial Board, Podiatry Today
- Board Certified, American Board of Foot and Ankle Surgery in Reconstructive Rearfoot and Ankle Surgery
- Fellow, American College of Foot & Ankle Surgeons
- Podiatry Management Magazine “Top 100 Most Influential Podiatrists”, 2012
- 1st Place, AOFAS Poster Competition at Annual Summer Meeting, 2011 “MRI Correlation with Intra-operative plantar plate pathology”
- American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons Clinical and Scientific Research Grant, 2010
- 1st Place, ACFAS Poster Competition at Annual Summer Meeting, 2007 "Calcaneal Scarf Osteotomy for Posterior Tendon Dysfunction; Long-Term Results"
- Elected President of the International Society for Medical Shockwave Treatment (ISMST)
- Team Podiatrist for the Chicago White Sox, MLB
- Named Top 100 Most Influential Podiatrists in the Country by Podiatry Management Magazine
- 1st place award for presentation of research on the Calcaneal Scarf Osteotomy at the Annual American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons (ACFAS) Meeting, 2008
- Editorial Board for Foot and Ankle Specialist peer reviewed publication
- Editorial Board for Foot and Ankle Online Journal an Internet Based Open Access Online Journal
- Presented four papers at the Annual European Federation of National Associations of Orthopaedics and Traumatology (EFORT) Meeting in Nice France in 2008. EFORT is the largest Orthopedic Organization in Europe
- Published a book on Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy
Education & Training
- Undergraduate: Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN – BA
- Medical School: Dr. William M. Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine – DPM
- Residency: The Graduate Hospital, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
- Fellowship: Reconstructive Foot and Ankle Surgery, Europe
- Graduate School: Lake Forest Graduate School of Management – MBA