Good foot health is within your reach! At Weil Foot & Ankle Institute, we want patients to know that there are several ways to protect your feet and—good news—none of them is difficult or time-consuming.
Simple Ways To Be Proactive About Your Podiatric Health
- Check your feet regularly. Examine your entire foot. Do you see any unusual lumps, growths or abnormal movement of the toes? Look for bruising, cuts that don’t seem to be healing promptly, rashes and changes in skin or toenails. Anything suspicious should be evaluated by our podiatrists. The majority of foot problems are more successfully and quickly treated if caught early.
- Have a good hygiene routine. Clean your feet every day with soap and water. Moisture your feet with a good quality emollient lotion each night and apply an antifungal or talcum powder before you put your socks on each morning.
- Choose footwear wisely. Your choice of shoes can cause or prevent several foot conditions such as plantar fasciitis, bunions and hammertoes. Look for styles with wide, roomy toe boxes that don’t squeeze toes together. Avoid heels higher than two inches and choose natural materials that allow feet to breathe. Make sure the shoes you choose have sufficient arch support.
- Keep nails groomed. Toenails should be cut short, but not so short that the skin of the nailbed can overlap the nail and it can start to become ingrown. Always file nails straight across and not with rounded edges which can also encourage ingrown nails.
- Enjoy a healthy lifestyle. The health of the rest of your body is reflected in your feet. Not being overweight prevents excess stress from being put on your feet. Maintain a regular exercise routine. Manage other medical conditions like high blood pressure, diabetes and heart disease—all of which can have a negative impact on the health of your lower extremities.
- Get foot pain checked out promptly. If you are experiencing any discomfort in your feet or ankles, don’t delay. Make an appointment at our offices in Bannockburn, Orland Park, Roselle or any of our other 16 conveniently located offices by calling: 847-390-7666.